Search The File Cabinet of Verbal Diarrhea

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Jimmy Chamberlin speaks out

Jimmy Chamberlin left The Smashing Pumpkins last week. Today he told us why.

By now you have heard the news of my departure from the ," he wrote. "I will say, without going into any unnecessary details that this represents a positive move forward for me. I can no longer commit all of my energy into something that I don’t fully possess. I won’t pretend I’m into something I’m not. I won’t do it to myself, you the fan, or my former partner. I can’t just, 'Cash the check' so to speak.


Here's how I interpret that: "The Smashing Pumpkins is, has been, and always will be Billy Corgan, and no one else."

I love The Smashing Pumpkins. Billy Corgan can still write a good song. The problem is, he hasn't written a great song in nearly 15 years. As I've said before, there's a reason why "Siamese Dream" is still considered a masterpiece. Every song on that album is amazing, It can still hold it's own against today's recordings, but a lot of that can be attributed to the production by Butch Vig. Take a listen to 2007's "reunion" album "Zeitgeist". The songs are good, but it's almost impossible to listen to because everything is turned up to 11. The guitars are noisy, and Jimmmy is too busy squeezing as many notes as he can into a small space. I'm a drummer, so I appreciate great playing, but even Keith Moon knew when to hold back. I'm trying to enjoy the song as a whole, and sometimes the drumming is just distracting. (See also: the Zwan album)

As for future plans, expect to hear more from The Jimmy Chamberlin Complex:


Rush called. They want their sound back.

No comments:

Blog Archive