Search The File Cabinet of Verbal Diarrhea

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Things Macho Likes: The Like

I was introduced to The Like in 2004, when I caught their performance in front of about ten people at the old Hard Rock Cafe in Austin during SXSW. The trio of guitarist Z. Berg, bassist Charlotte Froom, and drummer Tennessee Thomas played no nonsense LA style power pop, which is very hard to ruin, unless your name is Rivers Cuomo. Despite some issues with an unfamiliar drum kit, the ladies delivered a very solid half hour set.

Over the course of the next year or so, I managed to catch them live four more times with the likes of Phantom Planet, Kings of Leon, and Muse. During an in-store appearance at Good Records, I approached singer Z. Berg and, in one of my worst fanboy moments, asked if they could play a song of theirs that I really liked. She looked me right in the eyes, and with a most sincere smile, said "No." It was during the Kings of Leon tour that their debut album, the Wendy Melvoin produced "Are You Thinking What I'm Thinking?" was released.

"June Gloom" (from "Are You Thinking What I'm Thinking?"):


And then they went away...

That is, until now.

It has been a few years, but The Like are back. Froom has been replaced by Laena Geronimo, and they have added Annie Monroe on keyboards. Their latest album, "Release Me", sees the now quartet having undergone a complete Mod makeover, and their power pop has been replaced by 60s style garage rock. While it is completely different from The Like I grew to... well... like, you can't help but dance to these infectious, catchy beats. I'm anxious to see what else they have in store of us. Hopefully it won't take another five years.

"He's Not A Boy" (from "Release Me"):




Purchase "Release Me" by clicking here.

Blog Archive