Search The File Cabinet of Verbal Diarrhea

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Melodica - night two

I started the second night of Melodica with Mission Giant at Sloppyworld. They have a new album called 'Golden Triangle' that is definitely worth checking out. You can tell that they are both musically and visually influenced by Devo. It was a very cool performance.

After a bit of walking around, I got to see Transona 5 at Avenue Arts. Local artist Richard Ross gave me a copies of Transona's 'Duffle Bag' and The Swells' 'electrostaticvibraverb' a few years back. Unfortunately, both have been misplaced due to the fact that I have too much of just about everything. The good news is that they're both readily available on iTunes. Transona put on a great display of slowcore shoegaze for the few people that were there, and the fewer people that were actually there to hear the performance.

I spent the rest of the night venue hopping, just to see what was going on. I wound up at Amsterdam for what I assume was Medio Mutante. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. It was a girl and two guys with keyboards. People seemed to like it, but I wasn't feeling it at all. At least it's good to know that more people realize that Human League was making music before the 'Dare' album. I went around to Minc, back to Sloppyworld, and Fallout, and then called it a night.

I won't be making it to the show at Dada tonight. I have to cram a whole weekend's worth of "to-dos" into a few hours. Overall, I'd say this weekend was a success. Thanks to Wanz, the venue owners, the volunteers at the doors, and everyone else involved. I'm hoping that a lot of the bands that performed this weekend will be encouraged to come out and play more often than they do. Personally, I've been inspired.

No comments:

Blog Archive